● The Cisco 2900 Series ISRs are highly modular platforms with several types of module slots to add connectivity and services for varied branch-office network requirements.
● The ISRs offer an industry-leading breadth of LAN and WAN connectivity options through modules to accommodate field upgrades for future technologies without requiring a platform replacement.
● The Cisco 2900 Series are powered by high-performance multi-core processors that can support the growing demands of high-speed WAN connections to the branch-office while also running multiple concurrent services.
● Embedded hardware encryption acceleration is enhanced to provide higher scalability, which combined with an optional Cisco IOS Security license, enables WAN link security and VPN services (IPSec acceleration).
● The onboard encryption hardware replaces and outperforms the advanced integration modules (AIMs) of previous generations.
● The Cisco 2900 Series introduces an innovative multigigabit fabric (MGF) that allows for efficient module-to-module communication, enabling tighter services interactions across modules while reducing the overhead on the route processor.
● Unified communications services in the branch office are significantly enhanced with the use of a TDM interconnectivity fabric in the system architecture, allowing for scaling of DS-0 channel capacity.
● All onboard WAN ports are 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet WAN routed ports.
● One of the three 10/100/1000 Ethernet WAN ports on the Cisco 2921 and 2951 supports Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP)-based connectivity in lieu of a RJ-45 port and enabling fiber connectivity.
● A new, innovative USB console port offers management connectivity for devices without a serial port such as modern laptop computers.
● Traditional console and auxiliary ports are also available.
● An optional upgrade to the internal power supply provides inline power (802.3af-compliant PoE and Cisco Inline Power) to integrated switch modules.
● On the Cisco 2911, 2921, and 2951, an optional DC power supply is available that extends deployment into central offices and industrial environments.
● On the Cisco 2911, an optional DC-PoE power supply is available.